Thursday 22 October 2009

Trust Me, I'm A junior Doctor


This book is written by Max Pemberton, when he was a junior doctor (or aka houseman/ house officer/ intern). He is now a psychiatrist-in training and also a columnist with the Daily Telegraph.

Well, this book answered my question- the crazy hellish life of a junior doctor, is it just in Malaysia or is it a global phenomenon? Reading Max was like reading my own diary (which I never wrote). Although now the condition here must have got better since the implementation of European Working Time Directive where working hours and on call requirements have been reduced.

Max described it well. It is a life of either you are working, or you are recovering from working, so that you are able to work the next day (but come to think of it, what work doesn't?).

And the constant feeling of 'I should leave medicine forever' or 'I want to quit now' every time you were scolded by your consultant (in front of the whole team) or a patient you cared for died or when you received abusive words from the patient's families (quite commonly the 'goverment sector' sentiment will be brought up).

But frankly, I never had the thought of quitting or leaving medicine forever, but I did have the occasional feelings of 'I just want to go home now' or 'can I faint now?'. Actually it was quite reasonable for me to faint because I was pregnant with Adam that time. Tapi korang tau lah, aku bukan drama queen kan..

And this is my favourite part of the book, on how we medical personnel detach ourselves from feelings, because to us everything has an explanation.....

Mr Farley has had dementia for the past ten years. His wife has looked after him for all that time, day in, day out. And now his kidneys and heart have stopped working properly. Medicine has decided to bow out gracefully and admit defeat. There's nothing that can be done. He and his wife are in their eighties. How she's coped on her own all this time is beyond me. His eyes are shut and his mouth wide open.

"It's all right darling, I'm here" says Mrs Farley.

No response. She looks a little crestfallen. She gently strokes his cheek while talking to him, and he moves his head towards her.

"Look, Doctor, he still knows who I am," she says to the doctors lined up at the foot of the bed.

But everyone looked slightly embarrassed and Dr Pike says gently, "We're very sorry, there's nothing more we can do. I think it's for the best."

Everyone quietly moves on.

Back in the office I accost Barney, my senior. "But he recognizes his wife, that's incredible, isn't it?" I say.

Barney frowns. "Oh that, no, of course he doesn't recognize her."

I'm perplexed.

"It's rooting reflex," Barney explains. "He's got advanced dementia. He hasn't a clue what's going on."

What this means is that the movement Mrs Farley thinks is her husband recognizing her voice is, in fact, a mere reflex. Anyone or anything touching his cheek would induce the same response.

I feel somehow cheated. I think I prefer Mrs Farley's explanation. Medicine can be cruel like this. It reduces things to neural pathways, to reflexes, to physiological mechanisms. It removes the mystery and wonder from things. Mrs Farley doesn't want to live in a world where her husband has primitive rooting reflex. She wants to live in a world where her husband recognizes her voice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And look what my mother bought me as souvenir from Amsterdam...



7 comments:

Fadhil said...

Salam Doc,

Seems like an interesting book. I'll buy it if the bookshops here have in their shelves. After reading, I'll pass it to my son.

Mamaboyz said...

Mr Oldstock,

I hope your son won't be discouraged after reading it :). All the best to him.

UmmuAhmads said...

drwati, saya agak selalu jugak baca blog ni...this entry sgt menarik... i mean, antara article you yang menarik. I like the way you write things, straight forward and yet, penuh sifat 'kedoktoran'...hehehe...

UmmuAhmads said...

Oh ye lupa pulak... on of your blog links, 'My surviving years' tu... kawan sekolah saya form 1-5. Sedih sgt dpt tahu dia dah meninggal dlm bulan julai yang lepas after her chemo session, meninggalkan 2 org anak yang masih sgt kecil...

SMM said...

bas,
interesting book! i like the excerpt that you have shared with us. if i can get the book, i'll read it first, and then bagi hadiah kat ana (farhaana) :)

Mamaboyz said...

ummuAhmads,
oh arwah kawan ummuAhmads yer..saya baru perasan bulan lepas yang dia dah tiada, saya mula2 ingat dia lama tak update sebab tgh busy chemo, tapi last month baru saya tergerak nak baca comments last entry dia, ada yg tulis dia dah meninggal...

baby dia yg premature tu ok? i put her on the list because she is the first person i found that has the rare BRCA2 gene, which before this i only read in textbooks...

sedih baca entry dia yg dia tak boleh dukung anak dia Qistina :(

mynie,
eh how's aana? dia tgh buat master ke apa? anak dia hari tu laki ke pompuan? if the book takde kat bookshop maybe you can try amazon

SMM said...

bas,
sorry lupa nak reply to your question. tulah tak jawab terus first time baca, pastu lupa...

aana is practising in hospital kuala trengganu, dia tak buat master (lagi?). his son dah lebih kurang setahun now. ada gambar last time kitorg jumpa, kat my FB, cuba tengok kat my photos.